When purchasing a used bike, there are a few tips that may prevent you from inadvertently purchasing a stolen bike.
- When possible, purchase a used bike from a reputable store or dealer
- If going through an unknown seller such as Craiglist, be aware of deals that seem too good to be true (why would someone be selling a $1,500 bike for $200?)
- Ask the seller about the history of the bike as most owners will have a story or two
- Ask for the bike’s serial number and check it on CPIC’s stolen bike database (keep in mind, though, that many people who have had their bike stolen don’t bother reporting it stolen and/or don’t know their serial number)
- Ask the seller for the original receipt
Of course, the best thing to do is contact VanCycle! We have a great choice of bikes, suitable for a variety of cycling needs. If you are looking for a used bike, contact us for more information. You may be surprised at the affordability of many of our new bikes!
Whatever your preference, feel free to contact us for more information.